Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Learning Process

I noticed something yesterday.


My camera has all theses functions, buttons, settings and modes that I have no idea how to use! 


I stay in Auto mode when I shoot. It's easier and I don't have to think about it. But I've been upset lately at the quality of my photos, so I thought it'd be worth a try to learn the ins and outs of my camera. 


I went to the experts, my inspirations. The Pioneer WomanDarcyMiz Booshay. Amanda.


I stayed up until midnight last night, reading (and reading and reading) about how to use my camera. 


Terms like aperture, shutter speed, ISO, exposure, f stops, depth of field. Terms I had heard before, but didn't know or really care to know what they could do for me. Now I know just how important they are.


Everything was so confusing at first. I'd play with my camera, mess with the settings I was learning about, read some more, play around some more.  After a few hours and reading many, many blog posts about it all, it started to sink in.


Enthralled and inspired by all the stuff I was learning, I couldn't wait to start taking photos out of Auto mode! It was midnight though, so I went to sleep. 


First thing this morning I ran outside to take some pictures. 


It was as if the heavens were opening and angels were singing. I finally understood my camera, why it was doing what it was doing and what I could do to make the photo better. 

I was shooting in Aperture or Shutter Speed Priority and I actually had a handle on what was going on! (sort of)


From all the reading I did last night, I learned that for anybody and everybody, photography is a constant learning process. 


Figuring out your camera, how it works in certain light, adjusting the settings to suit your fancy, messing around with it to see what happens, editing...it's all about learning. 


I feel so much better.


Paper Heart Photo

7 comments:

  1. That's awesome that you are figuring out all those modes and settings! Go Kayla! :) You won't regret it, I promise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pictures look awesome! That's great that you're learning more about your camera. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Kayla! Your photos are STUNNING! And your writing skills are fabulous too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. awesome pictures! I now feel like trying to figure out my mom's camera :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. GREAT PICTURES AND GOOD FOR YOU!!! I AM VERY HAPPY FOR YOU! Don't you like the feeling when you know that you know how to do something that you never knew how to do before?

    please visit-

    jemimabakytgul.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blog is so gorgeous and these pictures are truly lovely. I need to learn to use my camera too because it makes such a difference. Also, I don't know what kind of batter that is up top but, I do know, that if it was here in front of me, I would have NO restraint. :) Enjoyed this post!

    ReplyDelete