Saturday, January 7, 2012

acne

I have really bad acne.

It's embarassing and it's gross and it really messes with my already non-existent self esteem.

Having acne is tough. I have to wear make up every single time I leave the house to help cover it up.

It's stressful wearing make up. And I hate doing it.

I put concealer on the red spots (which are everywhere), then powder, then bronzer and it adds a good chunk of time to my morning routine.

I can't just roll out of bed and go to school like all my friends do.

Most people don't have acne like I do. Yes, you get zits and pimples sometimes but it's nothing like what I go through. 


I've been to heck and back with my acne.

I started washing my face with ProActiv in 7th grade (2007). My acne at the time really was not bad at all, I think I just had a few zits here and there. But as a precaution my mom bought me ProActiv.

The regimen really dried my skin out and I got flaky dryness everywhere. By the beginning of 8th grade my skin was getting just a tad worse. More zits, more redness more oil, but I never wore make up, my skin was still generally pretty clear.

In November 2008 I left public school and started doing online homeschool. I don't remember how I was taking care of my acne. I think I was using a face wash from Avon or maybe it was Melaleuca. I do have a picture from this time and my acne was sooo bad and it's just really gross. Red zits all over my face.

In 9th grade I started using a product called CleanStart. It had 3-4 steps in the regimen, like Proactiv. It worked really well and my face was pretty clear for the most part but I still had acne. It was this year that I started using a tan colored SPF cover up to mask the redness.

In 10th grade I started eating really healthy. I stopped eating sugar and lost weight. My mom also took me to a dermatologist and I started a new skin care routine: I took a pill called Solodyn for my acne, I was washing with Benzoyl peroxide and some other special products. It was a mixture of the eating and the pills and the other products that my face was the best I think it's ever been!

My skin cleared up as a result of these products. It really did.

The moment we stopped paying for the pills and other treatments is when my acne started getting really bad again.

I am now in 11th grade and I have reached a point where my acne is the worst it's ever been and it is really really bad. I have severe acne. I don't even know how it's possible that it's gotten this bad.

Tyler, my 13 almost 14 year old brother, is in 8th grade and has bad acne now, too. It runs in our family.

There are a lot of reasons my acne is at it's worst right now. I am not eating as healthy as I used to. I have been actually eating pretty unhealthy. Not enough fruits and veggies and too much sugar.

I am using Mary Kay's facewash line and I really like it. It's not healing or curing my acne, but I think it's helping keep it somewhat under control.

What am I trying to get to, here? I want to find a cure for my acne. There must be some way to be cured from this horrible disease curse sickness plague nightmare!

I've been thinking and praying a lot lately. Acne is a trial for me. Other people might have trials like loss of family members to cancer, sickness, divorce, poverty or other things. My trial is acne. Heavenly Father only gives us trials that we can handle and they're always designed specifically for us.

What does God want me to learn from having acne? Me and my mom were talking about this a few weeks ago when I was sitting on her bed crying like a big baby because "I hate acne", "it's not fair", "nobody else has acne but me", "it hurts so bad", "it's embarrassing" and yada yada yada.

We came up with some ideas. I am maybe more compassionate, more accepting of others because I have acne. If I had a perfectly clear complexion, maybe I wouldn't be as loving to everyone and people that have acne or other visible issues.

Maybe it makes me more humble. Maybe it is going to help me learn to take better care of my body.

I have been doing a lot of reading. I am reading The China Study by Dr. T. Colin Campbell and he basically says, and all his research points to the fact that a whole foods, plant based diet is the answer to curing diabetes, heart disease, obesity, osteoporosis and the growth of tumors in our bodies. His book is really influential and is the reason I don't eat meat or dairy anymore.

I was also reading some websites that were saying that some people's bodies react on the outside to the toxins in our bodies. And acne is a result of our body reacting to the toxins that our body makes when we don't eat the right foods.

So I've come down to the proclamation that I can heal my acne with good nutrition. I used to eat sugar free and my face was always the best when I was eating that way. So I'm going to start eating better.

I have extremely bad acne, so I have to go to extreme measures to get results, right?

So I am eating no sugar, no dairy, limited amount of oil/fat. I am going to eat lots of vegetables, egg whites, beans, whole grains and fruits.

And I am going to be really strict about this. If the bread we buy has even just a little sugar in it, I am not going to eat it. If I want results it's going to take a lot of commitment and I have to be strict. It's going to take a really long time of commitment to get results, too. I'm going to need to eat this way for many many months to see if it works. It's not going to be a quick fix.

And maybe acne is just genetics and maybe I can't actually cure it with diet. But it's worth a try. I am willing to try anything.

7 comments:

  1. I have the exact same problem. My acne has gotten so bad over the last few months that I am on medication. I'm starting to use Noxzema cream and shower scrub..If you haven't tried it yet, I would say try that. It has been helping me out a ton! Good luck with everything, Hope your diet definitely helps you out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow... this sounds a LOT like me. I hate acne. :( When I was younger and didn't have very much acne at all, I used the cheaper version of proactive. I only had a few spots here and there, nothing much. This continued until 9th grade... it got a little worse. I thought I had it bad at the time, but looking back it wasn't that bad. Enter 10th grade. At the beginning of summer 2011 (and probably the spring before it) my acne got REALLY bad. It was dry, oily, SUPER red, and all over my face. I was still using the proactive stuff. It was so bad that my grandparents thought I had a rash on my face and wanted my mom to take me to the dermatologist. Embarrassing much? SO I went to the dermatologist and she prescribed this cream stuff that was supposed to be really harsh and take about 6 months to work and it was supposed to make your face way worse before making it better. Not exactly what I wanted to do... she also said to stop using Proactive and anything with sylicicic acid (not sure how to spell it...) because apparently I have really sensative skin, so it was way to harsh for it. So I haven't used any of the cream stuff because it would be expensive to buy it and I don't want my face to get worse, even if it would get better. I stopped using Proactive and now just use Neutrogena face soap which is much gentler, along with Neutrogena face lotion. I can't say that much of my acne has gone away, but it is MUCH less red which makes it easier to cover up and it isn't so painful anymore. But it's still pretty bad...

    Wow. I just wrote a book. :D

    ANYWAYS. I've wanted to try a better diet but I lack the motivation. I admire yours! Good luck to you on your road of getting rid of acne! I hope that one day we will both be acne free. But you are right, I think it has made me a humbler person. I guess that is a good thing that has come out of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my goodness. that's the longest comment I've ever seen. 0.0

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, i really admire you for your commitment -- i would not be able to give up bread and chocolate and milk so easily! so i'll be praying. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh, acne is the worst! This year my skin as been the worse it's ever been in the past and it sucks. Hope your skin clears up, Kayla!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kayla!

    I used to have really bad skin in ninth grade. It wasn't eve acne, it was just red, dry, flaky patches of skin everywhere. The kind that can't even be covered up with makeup because it just flakes off. It was terrible and I used to dread going to school because of it.

    So I started eating healthier and eating less processed foods and drinking more water. And after a while, my mom made an appointment to see the dermatologist. By the time I actually got around to seeing the dermatologist (who knew they were so busy...) it was several months later and the red, dry skin was almost gone. I don't really know what happened. I think it was the healthier diet and increased water intake.

    I'm a junior now and my skin is much better. I wish you the best of luck in your new diet. I'm really glad that I'm not the only one with skin issues.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kayla!
    So this is the first time visiting your blog. I love it! I found it from TheTeenageTaste. :)

    I can relate to this post for several reasons.
    1. I have always had acne since fifth grade. It got severe when I was in 7th Grade and I was put in Accutane. I've been in Accutane three times and it improved my acne tremendously. I'm on medicine now, and I still have bad acne. It runs in my family too. My mom had bad acne when she was younger.

    You should try the diet, it might work! And also you'll feel healthier too.
    But I'm the girl who has to wear makeup every day to cover up her acne too. I wish I was like some of my friends who didn't have to do that! :)

    Hope you have a good day!

    ReplyDelete