Monday, August 12, 2013

Day 48 Of No Washing

(I wasn't going to post this, I was going to keep it as a draft for my own personal use, so I can keep a record of my face hopefully improving, but I decided to post it because maybe it can help someone else. These pictures are really hard to post on the internet. I might end up taking this down.)

On June 25, 2013 I stopped washing my face. The only products that have touched my face are organic extra-virgin coconut oil, raw, organic honey, organic raw apple cider vinegar and sunscreen.

My 15 year old brother has acne too and I realized that his face and my face were about the same as far as severity of the acne went, except he never washes his face. He doesn't do anything. In fact he doesn't stress about his acne, doesn't even think about it.

Yet I always wash my face and my face hurts and gets really really oily. And his doesn't.

Then I came across some articles about the "Caveman" acne regimen. Basically you stop washing your face with creams, cleansers and soaps and just leave it alone. The regimen stems from the idea that when we wash with soaps full of chemicals (benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid etc.) from the store, it strips our face of its natural oils, so our glands compensate by making more oil! It made sense to me so I tried it.

48 days ago:

I took these photos seconds apart and didn't edit them at all.





Today:



Pictures on left are from June 25, 2013. Pictures on right are from August 12, 2013.

Right side of my face:






























Left side of my face (above).

I don't wash my face with my Neutrogena or Burt's Bees face cleansers anymore.

It took a few days for my face to get used to the fact that I wasn't stripping it of oil anymore. My face actually was super oily the first few days and it was really gross. But now my face doesn't get oily hardly at all.

If I wear makeup, I wash it off with coconut oil. Apple cider vinegar makes a good toner. Two days ago I started applying raw honey on my face for 20 minutes a night and then washing it off. I have also been drinking an apple cider vinegar tonic 1-3 times a day before meals. It's supposed to help regulate blood sugar and purify the blood, which might be helping with my acne too.

It's surprising to me that my face is actually getting better. I no longer have painful, irritated white heads and the redness is going down. My face no longer hurts and all the red dots I still have are not raised and hard like they used to be.

Obviously my face really has a long way to go to being clear, but I believe in this method. It has been doing immense wonders so far.

1 comment: