Sunday, September 15, 2013

Embarrassing Moments at BYU Idaho


On my very first day here, I lost the key to my apartment! I was driving myself crazy looking for it! I was so mad and embarrassed that I had lost it after only having it for 2 hours! I looked everywhere. We moved shelves, drawers, I retraced my steps. Finally, I walked down to management and she said I'd have to wait until Monday to pay for a new one, it was Friday afternoon!

After shopping at Walmart for some shtuff, I had to call my roommate and make sure she was home so she could let me in! Then that night, at orientation, they reported a missing key which reminded me of my lost key, and I told one of my roommates who was next to me, who I hadn't talked to a whole lot yet, that I had lost my key. She said that she had found one on her bed earlier! So yeah.


Saying goodbye to Mom and Holly was hard. It's only just now starting to settle in that I'm actually here, with no family or anyone. Just me.


Before anything that happens at BYU Idaho, a prayer is offered. Even the talent show and the meeting I just had with my roommates to talk about chores! It's pretty great.



Me and my five roommates walked to church today. I had been looking forward to it and it was really really nice. I felt like the talks, all three of them, were especially prepared for me, they were exactly what I needed to hear.


I got to Relief Society early and the president, which is a student (weird!), asked the few girls that were sitting already if anyone played piano. Nobody raised their hand so I did, kind of sheepishly. She told me the topic of the lesson and I picked out two hymns to play. I was so scared! I started playing prelude music as the sisters walked in. My hands were shaking and it was a really nice piano (I'm used to my keyboard, which is full size 88 keys, but isn't the same), so my fingers kept messing up the notes, on songs that I knew how to play perfectly! I messed up quite a few times as I was playing. I even forgot to play the 4th verse of Come Follow Me, I stopped at three!! I know! So stupid!!! So everyone was waiting for me to play and I never did and then I looked behind me at the chorister and I realized but by then it was too late, everyone laughed and the president just said to stop there, it's fine. I wanted to die.


So after that we had a prayer and then we did introductions. So I was still shook up about messing up on the piano that when it was my turn all I said was where I'm from and that I'm happy to be here. While everyone else told like their hobbies, interest, major, how many semesters they've done etc. So now I come across as not only a bad piano player but super boring. Cool.

I'm sitting here in my room that I share with my roommate, and out my window I see lots of students walking around. I face a parking lot and can also see a sidewalk and the steps to another housing area on the other side of the street. There's always guys driving into the parking lot and going to see the girls and they're like all laughing and talking on the balconies in front of their rooms and I'm sitting here alone in my room.

So yeah. Tomorrow is the first day of classes and I'm sure I'll have a few stories to tell. I'm excited though!

2 comments:

  1. OH MY GOSH!!!! I go to BYU-Idaho too!! What track do you have?!?!? I have the Winter/Spring track, so I just got home for my off track this semester. I'll be back in January though! Will you be there? It'd be AMAZING to meet you there! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you found your key so quickly!

    ReplyDelete